St Andrews Harbour sits on the east coast of Fife facing the North Sea. This tour shows how the harbour and its surroundings may have appeared in the 1820s – a time of change for the St Andrews community. St Andrews had a long history as a trading port. However, increasingly the harbour was regarded as too difficult for ships to access. In the 1790s it was noted that entering the harbour ‘is often very difficult, and the departure precarious’. Yet while overseas trade was declining, the fishing industry was expanding. By 1838 apparently ‘several fishing boats’ supplied St Andrews and much of the surrounding area of Fife with fish such as ‘haddock, cod, ling, skate, halibut, and flounder’.