Harbour 1921

Today the Scottish burgh of St Andrews is best known for its golf courses and ancient university. However, it also has a long maritime history, stretching back into the Middle Ages. For centuries St Andrews Harbour was a gateway between Fife and the wider world, with ships trading with Scandinavia and Germany, as well as along the east coast of Scotland. By the early twentieth century ships had grown larger and the harbour at St Andrews was too small for most trading vessels. However, it remained home to smaller fishing boats. To this day a limited number of crab and lobster boats still work from the harbour. This reconstruction shows how the harbour may have appeared in the 1920s.